Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Jamba-whata?

Keith loves Jambalaya, so I thought I'd try my hand at it. I've only had a taste bite so far (I cooked it for hubby and I'm not hungry yet) but it's yummy! It has a nice spice to it and lots of flavor!

I got the recipe from my Better Homes and Garden "New" Cookbook.

Jambalaya



Ingredients

1 lb fresh or frozen shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 c. chopped onion
1/3 c. chopped celery
1/4 c. chopped green pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons cooking oil (I used olive)
2 cups chicken broth (I used low-sodium)
1 14 1/2 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
8oz kielbasa sausage, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
3/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
1 tsp ground red pepper (I used a little more to make it spicy)
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 bay leaf
1 cup cubed cooked ham



Directions



1. Thaw shrimp if frozen; set aside. In a 12-inch skillet cook onion, celery, pepper and garlic in hot oil until tender. Stir in chicken broth, undrained tomatoes, sausage, rice, basil, black pepper, red pepper and bay leaf. Bring to a boil then reduce heat. Simmer, covered for 15 minutes.

2. Stir in shrimp. Return to boiling. Simmer, covered, for about 5 more minutes or until shrimp turn opaque and rice is tender. Stir in ham; heat through. Discard bay leaf.



*It was a little thin when it was done, so I took it off the heat and left covered for about 10 minutes. It thickened up quite a bit from this picture.



No comments:

Post a Comment